KPOP AUDITION F.A.Q
Tuesday, 18 May 2010 // 3:56 pm

Since the last time I blogged about k-pop auditions here I received lots of mails from you guys about it. At first I wasn't going to do anything about it because I am not a expert myself, I'm just a normal person that auditioned. Over the last few days I gave more thoughts into it and why not I guess? I have a few minutes to spare and I know how you guys feel when you really want to audition but is unsure of how to start. So instead of replying to every single mail I've decided to do this entry and answer the most asked questions. Fear not, if your question isn't a most asked I will reply directly to you. Let's get started!
Which company is the best?
I honestly can not answer this question. All of them have their own style of music and ways of doing things. I have heard rumours out there about what Cube Entertainment care about the most is passion while some other ones like SM Entertainment are all about looks. Guarantee you this is not true. If you have talent you can make into any company you want. To be very honest though, I would avoid SM Entertainment because of all the law suits happening at the moment however if SM is your ultimate choice then go ahead. They do produce some of the biggest idols in K-pop. If you think you have the real talent go for YG Entertainment.
Do I have to be fully Asian to apply?
No unless it's stated on the application. There are currently half Asians idols out there like Alexander from U-Kiss but I don't think there's other idols out there that are not Asian. Don't feel restricted, apply anyway, you might be the first.
What are some age limits?
As idols most of them are still in their final year of high school or even younger when they debut. Most companies would have nineteen max. and ten at the very lest. This only applies for singers, if your aim is producer or some other things there are no age limits. Again they would usually state this on applications.
Can you list some companies out there?
There are lots of them but I guess most of you guys are interested in the most popular and well-known ones so I'll list those.
SM Entertainment, YG Entertainment, Cube Entertainment, JYP Entertainment, DSP Entertainment, Pledis Entertainment, Core Contents Media
When will the auditions be open?
At the moment the only live audition that is open is YG Entertainment, it's been six year since the last time they held open auditions. You can apply here:http://www.yg-audition.com/ Unfortunately it's only available for those at Korea, New York and LA.
If your interested in other companies try online audition.
I live over seas, can I still apply? How does it work?
Yes you can still apply. First you will have to get in through online auditions if you get past that stage they will send you the other steps you have to follow. You will most likely need to travel to South Korea for live audition and pay for you own fees.
What do I need to prepare/do?
According to what company your trying for there are different things you need to do. These are a must photos of yourself (good quality, non-photo shoped), videos of you singing or dancing, examples of your work if your trying out for producer or song writer etc.
What will happen if I get in?
You will move to Korea, attend a (international) school. Train for at least a year, normally three to four years. Then debuting.
For those we are planning to try out, good luck! If you have anymore questions, ask away. No promises though.
Labels: kpop, master list


