100816
Monday, 16 August 2010 // 5:02 pm
When it comes to photography I would describe myself as an amateur with potential. I have owned three digital cameras in my time: a Casio Exilim, which wasn’t bad at all; a Sony T90, and that was when I realised how awful and excessively obsolete Sony products are; and a DSLR camera I’m using now is a Nikon D5000. Now that I use a D5000, I vow to never purchase a Sony product again (but to buy a Playstation for the sake of Tekken is a huge temptation).

You guys might be wondering… how do I take good pictures. In my opinion, you don’t need to have a pro camera (or a DSLR in photography terms) to take awesome photos. It’s all about the composition. By that, I mean you have to think of how you take it.
Here are some tips that I’ll share with you guys.

- Do not take your photos diagonally. This is exactly what I’m talking about. Yes, there are ducks on the pond but since when does it look like this? First it looks confusing. Secondly no professional photographer would do something this stupid. It doesn’t make the photo any more interesting.
- Do not watermark your photos. Especially if you’re doing this on Facebook. You don’t understand how annoying it is for me. The one thing I don’t understand about photographers who go to party venues is that why do they still watermark? Pssh. They get paid for taking photos and they also watermark to rub it in to say that they were there. Photojournalists don’t watermark their photos, and neither does Bill Henson. Publishing your photos online is your risk.
- Do not even think of adding text to your photos either if you want to make them look “pro”. Enough said.
- If your camera can take photos in RAW, use it. If you ask any photographer who’s trying to master digital photography on what file format to use, they’ll tell you that RAW is the way to go. It makes all the difference, honestly.
- With bad photos… don’t delete them straight away. At the end of the day, they might not be so bad after all.
- If you’re going to upload photos onto Facebook… resize them. It makes a significant difference. It’s what I always do. Use image-editing software like Paint.NET, the GIMP or Adobe Photoshop to resize them. For landscapes, resize the width to 720. For portraits, resize the width to 720.
- You might want to edit them. As amateurs, we strive to make them perfect.
I hope to take photos without having to enhance and edit them as I gain more experience. - Lighting matters. It’s hard for me to explain, but basically timing is everything and make sure the subject gets a share lot of light. By the way, sunrise and sunset is the best time to take photos, though we all do know that we don’t usually take photos at either of those times.
- In the words of my PE teacher years back, “Perfect practice makes perfect.”
- I know we all want a 10th tip, but there isn’t one. HAH.
Labels: redirect
100816
Monday, 16 August 2010 // 5:02 pm
When it comes to photography I would describe myself as an amateur with potential. I have owned three digital cameras in my time: a Casio Exilim, which wasn’t bad at all; a Sony T90, and that was when I realised how awful and excessively obsolete Sony products are; and a DSLR camera I’m using now is a Nikon D5000. Now that I use a D5000, I vow to never purchase a Sony product again (but to buy a Playstation for the sake of Tekken is a huge temptation).

You guys might be wondering… how do I take good pictures. In my opinion, you don’t need to have a pro camera (or a DSLR in photography terms) to take awesome photos. It’s all about the composition. By that, I mean you have to think of how you take it.
Here are some tips that I’ll share with you guys.

- Do not take your photos diagonally. This is exactly what I’m talking about. Yes, there are ducks on the pond but since when does it look like this? First it looks confusing. Secondly no professional photographer would do something this stupid. It doesn’t make the photo any more interesting.
- Do not watermark your photos. Especially if you’re doing this on Facebook. You don’t understand how annoying it is for me. The one thing I don’t understand about photographers who go to party venues is that why do they still watermark? Pssh. They get paid for taking photos and they also watermark to rub it in to say that they were there. Photojournalists don’t watermark their photos, and neither does Bill Henson. Publishing your photos online is your risk.
- Do not even think of adding text to your photos either if you want to make them look “pro”. Enough said.
- If your camera can take photos in RAW, use it. If you ask any photographer who’s trying to master digital photography on what file format to use, they’ll tell you that RAW is the way to go. It makes all the difference, honestly.
- With bad photos… don’t delete them straight away. At the end of the day, they might not be so bad after all.
- If you’re going to upload photos onto Facebook… resize them. It makes a significant difference. It’s what I always do. Use image-editing software like Paint.NET, the GIMP or Adobe Photoshop to resize them. For landscapes, resize the width to 720. For portraits, resize the width to 720.
- You might want to edit them. As amateurs, we strive to make them perfect.
I hope to take photos without having to enhance and edit them as I gain more experience. - Lighting matters. It’s hard for me to explain, but basically timing is everything and make sure the subject gets a share lot of light. By the way, sunrise and sunset is the best time to take photos, though we all do know that we don’t usually take photos at either of those times.
- In the words of my PE teacher years back, “Perfect practice makes perfect.”
- I know we all want a 10th tip, but there isn’t one. HAH.
Labels: redirect